Rachel Amphlett is the author of the Dan Taylor espionage novels and the Detective Kay Hunter series, which now numbers 4 novels - the 5th is out on March 11th.
In 2018 Rachel has already released three books in her new English Spy Mysteries series
After the success of the Detective Kay Hunter series, Rachel was able to leave her part-time job and become a full-time writer, and that gave her the perfect opportunity to go back through some writing ideas that had been fermenting for a while.
This is the third time I've spoken Rachel on this podcast - mainly because she's created some amazing impetus in her career since we first started chatting.
Find Out More:
Rachel's website: https://www.rachelamphlett.com/
Follow Rachel on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RachelAmphlett
Rachel's Goodreads page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5070038.Rachel_Amphlett
Rachel's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rachelamphlett.author/
Rachel on Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/search?query=Rachel%20Amphlett
Rachel on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/author/rachel-amphlett/id453265734
Rachel's UK Amazon page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rachel-Amphlett/e/B005EK7TRI
Interview Talking Points:
1) James Bond film extra: http://jessicasreadingroom.com/a-conversation-with-rachel-amphlett/
2) Bouchercon: http://bouchercon2017.com/
3) CrimeFest: http://www.crimefest.com/
4) Filmora software: https://filmora.wondershare.com/
1) Phase 6 is now on pre-sale: http://viewbook.at/Phase6
2) Crime and Publishment event: http://www.crimeandpublishment.co.uk/
3) Sarah Hardy's review blog: https://bytheletterbookreviews.com/
This interview is one of my 'Take 2' chats, where I catch up with one of the authors that I've spoken to before.
Alison Ingleby is newly published writer of sci-fo and dystopian fiction - when we first spoke she'd just received some bruising edits on her first book.
I met Alison at an Amazon event in Manchester last year and was keen to chart her journey from the publication of that first book and beyond.
We've now ended up co-presenting a new, non-writing podcast together - it's amazing where a bit of networking can end up!
1) Alison's website: https://alisoningleby.com/
2) Alison's Windswept Writing website: http://www.windsweptwriting.com/
3) Follow Alison on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ARIngleby
4) Alison's Windswept Writing Twitter account: https://twitter.com/windsweptwords
5) Connect with Alison on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alison-ingleby-b74ba226/
1) 20BooksTo50k Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/781495321956934/ [Highly recommended!]
2) The Crypto News Podcast, which I co-present with Alison: https://cryptonewspodcast.com/
3) Beta reader FB group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1662819743977604/
4) Beta reader FB group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1782619931753141/
5) Dragon Dictation software: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dragon+dictation
6) The Healthy Writer: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Healthy-Writer-Reduce-Improve-Writing/dp/1912105810/
7) Alison's blog post on writing lessons learned: https://alisoningleby.com/7-things-learned-publishing-first-novel/
1) I got my extra writing day in on Saturday – another 5169 words:
2) Featured on the Hawk and Cleaver podcast this week (Episode 46):
3) You can now take Crypto payments on your author website! https://t.co/jo1rdHBpSE
4) Sarah Hardy's review of The Forgotten Children: https://bytheletterbookreviews.com/2018/02/15/the-forgotten-children-by-paul-j-teague-paulteagueuk/
Euan Lawson is an experienced general practitioner and a fellow of the Royal College of General Practitioners (FRCGP).
He's the Deputy Editor of the British Journal of General Practice and BJGP Open.
Euan writes non-fiction and fiction across a whole range of topics and genres.
Most recently, he's co-authored How To Be A Healthy Writer with indie author Joanna Penn.
Find Out More:
1) Writing website: https://euanlawson.com/
2) Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/doctoreuanlawson
3) Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/euan_lawson
4) Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Euan-Lawson/e/B0764CTK8X/
5) LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/euanlawson/
Interview Talking Points:
1) The Healthy Writer:
[amazon_link asins='1912105810,B00LX0TQ3I' template='ProductCarousel' store='author-pt-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='208fc086-0077-11e8-9df6-ffa9010ec945']
2) Joanna Penn's interview with Euan: https://www.thecreativepenn.com/2017/12/25/how-to-be-a-healthy-writer-with-dr-euan-lawson/
3) Joanna Penn's Curl Up Press: https://curluppress.com/
4) Euan reviews on this site: https://crimefictionlover.com/
His reviewer name is Mal McEwan: https://crimefictionlover.com/author/mal-mcewan/
1) Friday's word count, hopefully another 5k to come on Saturday:
2) My 20Books Top 10:
- I found ‘my people’ ie people who are in the same zone as me
- I got great tips on writing & promotion
- I met fab writers and made brilliant connections
- Got pix & guests for podcast
- I felt part of something much bigger than me
- I found out that people listen to - like and value my podcast
- I had a great time
- I realised that these crazy successful authors are just regular people - like me and you - doing the work, day-in, day-out
- Met lots of pals in person ... Tim Lewis, Meg Jolly, Alison Ingleby, Adam Nichols, Gurbir Singh, John Hindmarsh, Joanna Penn, Clare Sager, Dan Wilcox, Julie Cordiner, Jay Tinsiano, Jon Cronshaw, Clare Lydon, Euan Lawson as well as new pal Sam Livy who’s very involved in supporting 20Books ... Mandy Marshall, Barry Hutchison, Debbie Young, Alison Morton (great conversation about swearing in books) Wendy Jones, Felicity Douglas and MANY MORE!
- It made me determined to keep on keeping on
[caption id="attachment_4662" align="aligncenter" width="600"] [L-R] Debbie Young, Wendy Jones and Felicity Douglas ... they're laughing because I just told them I want to be a best-selling author :-)[/caption]
3) Crime and Publishment: http://www.crimeandpublishment.co.uk/
4) Crime Fest: http://www.crimefest.com/
5) Buck Books: http://buckbooks.net/promotions/
Bargain Booksy: https://www.bargainbooksy.com/for-authors/
6) Sarah Hardy's blog: https://bytheletterbookreviews.com/
Rhoda writes contemporary romances about smart women and the men who love them - but with no alpha males.
She believes that clever is the new sexy!
Her romantic comedies have been shortlisted for a number of awards, including the Romantic Novel of The Year.
Apart from writing books, Rhoda has been a microbiologist.
She is also a member of the UK Romantic Novelists' Association and the Society of Authors.
Find Out More:
1) Writing website: https://rhodabaxter.com/
2) Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RhodaBaxterAuthor/
3) Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/rhodabaxter
4) Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rhoda-Baxter/e/B007M8OBXA
5) Goodreads page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5778469.Rhoda_Baxter
6) Choc Lit listings: http://www.choc-lit.com/productcat/rhoda-baxter/
7) Romantic Novelist's Association: http://www.romanticnovelistsassociation.org/about/author/rhoda_baxter
9) InstaFreebie: https://www.instafreebie.com/discover/author/8266/rhoda_baxter
Interview Talking Points:
1) UK Romantic Novelists' Association: http://www.rna-uk.org/
2) Society of Authors: http://www.societyofauthors.org/
3) Rhodobacter sphaeroides - the inspiration for Rhoda's author name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodobacter_sphaeroides
4) Choc Lit: http://www.choc-lit.com/
5) Vellum: https://vellum.pub/
6) BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/partners
7) InstaFreebie: https://www.instafreebie.com
1) This week's word count:
2) Oh look, it's another Goodreads giveaway!
3) This is what my Kindle Nation Daily ad looked like:
4) My first promo ran from May 4th:
Here are the numbers from last week’s promo ... I thought the numbers were worse, but they’re actually much better:
5) My new style email: http://preview.mailerlite.com/q0s8v8/814542352654799867/o2o7/
28% open rate
Subject line: Why I'm the world's worst email writer ...
12% open rate
Subject line: I've changed my ways and this is the result ...
7) Staunch Book Prize http://staunchbookprize.com/